Let's be real - we've all been victims of the scroll.
You spend hours crafting the perfect video or reel, pouring your heart and soul into it, only to have it casually swept under the digital rug by an audience with a short attention span. It's frustrating, and not to mention, it can hinder your growth and success.
But the good news is, you have the power to change that. You can create thumbnails that not only stop the endless scrolling but also attract brands and followers, boosting your online presence and ensuring your content is seen by the right people.
Understanding thumbnails and their contribution to growth
Before we dive into the nitty-gritty details of creating impressive thumbnails, let's take a moment to understand their significance. Imagine thumbnails for videos as the gateway to your content — the digital window that provides a sneak peek into what you have to offer.
According to a study conducted by YouTube, a staggering 90% of the best-performing videos on their platform have custom thumbnails.
Let that sink in for a moment.
Jamie Whiffen, a YouTube consultant, says, "If you are trying to get on the homepage and receive millions of clicks from new and returning viewers, you're going to have to think a lot more about attention and intrigue because that's how you're going to get people to click.”
Watch the full conversation here 👇🏻
Creating compelling thumbnails contributes to your growth in various ways.
Here's why they matter:
- First impressions: Just like a book cover, thumbnails are the first thing viewers see before deciding whether to engage with your content. An attention-grabbing thumbnail can make a remarkable first impression, increasing the chances of viewers clicking through.
- Brand recognition: By crafting thumbnails that align with your brand's visual identity, using consistent colors, fonts, and design elements, you create recognition. Viewers can quickly identify your content in a sea of other options, establishing a sense of trust and familiarity.
- Increased click-through rates: Eye-catching thumbnails help increase click-through rates, driving more views, engagement, and ultimately, growth. It's the gateway to a world of possibilities, and it starts with a single click.
Thumbnails that attract brands and followers
In a conversation with YouTube consultant Trent Haire, he said, "You should support your title and thumbnail. Audiences are lazy and selfish, so if they click on a video and you are not immediately showing them what they clicked for, they are most likely going to click off.”
Watch the full Fireside Chat. 👇🏻
Now, let's get down to business and learn what it takes to create great thumbnails for reels and videos that not only capture attention but also attract brands and followers. Here are some tried-and-true tips:
- Choose a captivating image: No more generic stock photos, please! Find an image that accurately represents your content and grabs attention. Use high-quality visuals that are relevant and eye-catching.
- Keep it simple: Less is more! Avoid cluttering your thumbnail with too much text or excessive details. A clean and simple design will attract viewers and effectively convey your message.
- Use colors wisely: Colors have the power to evoke emotions and create an atmosphere. Choose colors that align with your content and brand identity. Consider using contrasting colors to make your thumbnails stand out in the endless sea of content.
- Prioritize readability: If you choose to include text in your thumbnails, make sure it is easily readable, even at a small size. Use large and clear fonts that effectively convey your message without overwhelming the design.
- Aim for consistency: Consistency is the secret ingredient to building a strong brand. Create a consistent design template for your thumbnails that reflects your brand identity. This not only improves brand recognition but also makes your content appear more professional and cohesive.
It's all about making a solid first impression, representing your content effectively, and enticing viewers to click through.
Thankfully, a wide array of tools are available to assist in this endeavor, both with and without the use of AI.
Aryan Anurag, a YouTube consultant and expert in thumbnails, says, "It doesn't matter whether you create thumbnails on your phone, PC, or with Photoshop or any other tool. Tools don't matter as long as the thumbnail looks attractive," at a masterclass hosted by us.
Watch the masterclass to learn how to think and design click-worthy thumbnails. 👇🏻
This is the only video you'll ever need to learn everything about thumbnails.
For those who prefer a more hands-on approach, use tools like Canva, Figma, PicMonkey, and Adobe Express offer intuitive interfaces and an extensive library of templates, fonts, and design elements. These tools allow users to tap into their creativity and personalize their thumbnails to align with their brand and content.
On the other hand, generative AI-powered tools such as Adobe Photoshop, Dall E, Hotpot, and Fotor utilize machine learning algorithms to generate innovative designs and suggest layouts, colors, and other visual elements.
So go ahead, embrace the power of great thumbnails, and watch your online presence soar to new heights. Happy designing! 😃
Thousand Faces Club - Newsletter
A biweekly newsletter on creator economy